September 30, 2012

Cover Letter Queen by Carol Caron

I'm particularly proud of my sister for writing and publishing her first book, Cover Letter Queen. Several hundred copies have already been sold, and the book has been on McNally Robinson's bestseller list.

I helped a little bit, early on, with the editing, and found myself so intrigued that I'm sure at times I forgot my editing duties entirely while I chuckled my way through a section. I thought Carol did a particularly good job of the parts that included "Johnny." The book is fictionalized, but I know quite well the man on whom this character is based and I thought she just nailed it with him.

The timing is great - the book moves along briskly, taking a wry look at the sixty-some jobs the main character has held in her lifetime. In spite of taking a hilarious look at why she applied for each job, how she got it, what she did and why she quit, Cover Letter Queen never falls into anything even close to a monotonous rhythm. You will laugh, you will squirm at times, and most of all you'll keep reading to try to figure out what makes the protagonist tick and what she'll be up to next. Whatever she does, I hope she keeps writing. I'm looking forward to the next book already.

You can get more info or buy at http://coverletterqueen.com/

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, the voice and pacing are just spot-on -- highly entertaining and illuminating.

    ReplyDelete